Sunday, August 5, 2012

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen

So I am a huge independent movie fan.  When I saw "The Artist" in theaters, there was a preview for the movie "Salmon Fishing the Yemen."  I wasn't counting down the days or anything until it came out, but if the opportunity came to watch it, I would.  So my boss and I went out this Friday night (and had blueberry wine, which was fantastic. Try it), and she suggested we watch it.  It was amazing.



First of, Emily Blunt's in it, and I love her.  She did a great job in this film too and really translated the lines between professionalism and personal life through her role, and the combination of the two.  I always know when a movie's good when I'm rooting for the characters and see them as real people as opposed to thinking how forced a line sounded or how unnatural a set looks.


Also, cinematographically speaking, the movie is beautiful.  It's shot in a creative way, but not so experimental where it is jarring or uncomfortable.  There were definitely creative choices made that stuck out and were great.

The story is also extremely touching.  I'm not going to give anything away, but you find yourself following people work on a project to make salmon fishing available to people in the Yemen.  And then you realize how invested you are in something that sounds absolutely unimportant and boring.  There are also insights to the characters throughout the story as their personal lives are put on display, which only attaches you to the narrative more.

Overall, I highly recommend this movie!  Tell me what you think in the comments if you watch it or have already seen it!

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment